Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Jose Aldo out of UFC 189; Chad Mendes meets Conor McGregor for interim belt

UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo (25-1 MMA, 7-0 UFC) officially has pulled out of his title fight against rival Conor McGregor (17-2 MMA, 5-0 UFC) with a rib injury. UFC President Dana White announced the news on tonight’s edition of “SportsCenter” on ESPN, alongside McGregor.

White said the reason for the interim title, in this case, has to do with Aldo’s history of pulling out of title fights.

“Andre Pederneiras, his coach, called and basically said that Aldo’s rib is too painful, and he will not be fighting,” White said on the show. “So Chad Mendes now will fight Conor McGregor for the interim belt. Jose Aldo’s pulled out of five title fights. Conor’s ready to go. The No. 1 guy in the world, Chad Mendes, is ready to go. So it makes sense. They’ll fight for the interim title, and whenever Jose Aldo is ready, then that fight can happen to unify.

“It’s his decision. I don’t feel great about it. We’ve spent a lot of money promoting this fight. A lot of people are excited about the fight, so it’s definitely disappointing.”

McGregor, not surprisingly, was critical of Aldo’s decision to pull out of the fight and said he believes he had already beaten the champion from a mental standpoint.

“If a man is scared for his life, we cannot force him to step inside and face me,” McGregor said on “SportsCenter.” “I feel he’s afraid. The doctors have cleared him to fight – it’s a bruise. But he has still pulled out. So rightfully so, the belt should be taken from him and we should contest for the interim belt – or in my opinion, the real belt.

“I just feel he was beaten mentally before I and the chance to beat him physically. I felt through the (UFC 189) ‘World Tour,’ he was looking for his way out and thankfully for him, his coach, his team, they have found their way out.”

Saturday, June 27, 2015

UFC Fight Night 70: Machida vs. Romero FuLL Weigh-In

Aldo or Mendes? Conor McGregor says 'I'll whip both of them on the same night'

McGregor (17-2 MMA, 5-0 UFC) said he kept his composure when news broke that Aldo (25-1 MMA, 7-0 UFC) had suffered an injury in training that may prevent him from defending his UFC featherweight title at the July 11 event. 

The UFC has a contingency plan in place because if for any reason Aldo isn’t cleared to compete, Chad Mendes (17-2 MMA, 8-2 UFC) will fight McGregor for the interim 145-pound belt at UFC 189.

“I’ll whip both of them on the same night if need be; whoever shows up across the octagon will get beat,” McGregor told MMAjunkie. “They’re all the same to me. They throw the same shots. Chad and Jose, I feel, are actually similar on the feet. And in the wrestling I feel they are similar style opponents. They’re all the same to me.”

“Don’t even tell me,” McGregor said. “I’ll show up at the scales and whoever is there, is there. I don’t need to know. I’d beat both of them on the same night, so it makes no difference.
“I don’t give a f-ck really. I don’t care. I’ll be there July 10 at 145 pounds, and on July 11, I will have a gold belt wrapped around my waist. So everything else means nothing to me.”

Saturday, June 20, 2015

Joanna Jedrzejczyk aims to be 'Ronda Rousey of strawweight'

“I follow Ronda,” Jedrzejczyk said. “I’m a big fan of her. She’s simply the best for me. I want to be Ronda Rousey in the strawweight division. But I’m J.J., J.J. Champion.”

Jedrzejczyk earned some high praise from Rousey after her victory. The crossover star took to Twitter to describe her admiration for the strawweight queen.

WOW!!!!! @joannamma such a badass, a real fighter's fighter, couldn't respect her more!!!! !?!?

Sunday, June 14, 2015

Dana White no to Kelvin Gastelum at welterweight

“He’s done nothing to prove he can make 170 pounds, and when he doesn’t make 170 pounds, it’s dangerous and it screws a lot of things up around here,” said White at the event’s post-fight press conference at Mexico City Arena.

Gastelum (11-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC) made his UFC debut at 185 pounds and battered Marquardt (33-15-2 MMA, 11-8 UFC) on the UFC 188 pay-per-view main card en route to a second-round TKO. But it appears he won’t be fighting at 170 pounds any time soon, according to White.

“I love this kid,” White said at the post-event press conference at Mexico City Arena. “He’s such a great fighter. I love how he goes in with a kid like Marquardt and stands right in the pocket with him and exchanges. His standup looked great tonight. But I don’t believe he can make 170. I honestly don’t believe he can make 170."

“He’s going to have to get serious and get a nutritionist. He had to cut to make 185, and he came in right on the nose, so I am the furthest from confident that he is capable of making 170, no matter how much I like him, or how much he says he can do it, I don’t believe him.”

Dana White on Mexico City crowd: 'I didn't f-cking disagree with one boo'

“You better prepare when you come into this town because this is no f-cking joke. This is a hard place to fight.”UFC President Dana White following Saturday’s UFC 188 pay-per-view event at Mexico City Arena in Mexico.

“When they were booing, they deserved to boo,” White said after the sold-out event.

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Werdum says he is more Mexican than Velasquez

Werdum (19-5-1 MMA, 7-2 UFC) said recently that he feels “more Mexican” than the man who holds the official title, citing support from the local crowd and the fact that he’s been to Mexico more than 20 times. Velasquez, Werdum said on an episode of “UFC Embedded,” is “an American who thinks he’s Mexican.”

“Yesterday, I saw Cain Velasquez at breakfast,” Werdum told MMAjunkie. “I said, ‘Hi.’ I shake hands with Daniel Cormier, and Daniel Cormier was normal, no problem. But when I shake hands with Cain Velasquez, and he said, ‘No, no, no. I won’t shake your hand.’ I said, ‘Why?’ He said, ‘You talked about me, and I don’t like that.’ I said, ‘OK.’ I just said, ‘OK.’ That’s it. But he didn’t shake my hand."

“I don’t know. I never expected that. When I shake hands, I give the hand. He didn’t give the hand, but he leaned back, and he smiled a bit. He said, ‘No, no, no. I don’t want to shake your hand,’ but he did it in Spanish. … I said, ‘OK,’ no problem. I went and ate my breakfast. That’s it. No more."


“I just said that because Cain Velasquez was born in the U.S.A.,” Werdum said. “His parents are from Mexico. I just said that because I come to Mexico a lot of times, like maybe 20 times. I’ve stayed a long time for my fight. For the fight last time, I stayed two months here. I have a lot of friends here. I have a lot of fans, too. On social media, I receive a lot of messages from the guys. I just said it so the promotion for the fight is much better.

“No disrespect to Cain Velasquez. I like him. He’s a nice guy. I just act like a professional. I never said anything about him. I just said that like a promotion because I want people to watch this fight.”

Thursday, June 4, 2015

UFC confirms Luke Rockhold as next challenger to Chris Weidman's title

White announced the news on tonight’s edition of FOX Sports 1’s “UFC Tonight.” He stopped short of revealing a date of location for the Weidman (13-0 MMA, 9-0 UFC) vs. Rockhold (14-2 MMA, 4-1 UFC) championship contest.

“We don’t have that fight set up yet, we don’t know when it’s going to be, but that will be the fight,” White said. “Luke Rockhold will get the next shot at the title.”